Thursday, February 7, 2008

Project proposal.

The topic that I will be researching and presenting in my paper is the debate over nuclear power. Nuclear power is the controlled splitting of atomic particles and harvesting the explosion's raw power for civil use. The nuclear chain reaction creates heat, which boils water, which creates steam, which in turn drives a steam turbine. I am in support of the use of nuclear energy. It has proven to be a safe, clean, relatively cheap form of renewable energy. People that are against nuclear power are generally ignorant to it's possibilities. Meltdowns like Chernobyl will most likely never happen again due to increased technology over the years, and the problem of nuclear waste has been solved by learning to recycle it into nuclear fuel. There have been many books, articles, papers, and more written about this topic. My research possibilites are almost endless.

5 comments:

J.T.R. said...

I feel you have an interesting topic but I hope to hear you go over how Nuclear power is safe. I dont think Ive ever heard anyone call nuclear power safe. Also you say nothing like Chernobyl could happen again but isnt everyones fear with Nuclear power plants is that they maybe a target for acts of terrorism.

Andrew said...

I like your topic, but ending with "the possibilities are endless," will make your topic very hard to argue. I'd suggest narrowing it down to why nuclear energy is safe, or Why something like Chernobyl could never happen again. Good topic, I look forward to your point of view.

Colin said...

In response to JTR: we have nuclear power plants now, and nothing has happened to them. It's not like i'm suggesting some all-new form of energy that we could pursue in the future. It's already here.

And if you think about it, anything can be the target of a terrorist attack. government buildings, universities, hospitals, power plants, sports stadiums...we are doing exactly what they want us to do. We are afraid. We are TERRIFIED by the TERRORISTS. Terrorists have nothing to do with this.


In response to Andrew, I was kind of refering to how many sources there are for researching this topic when I said the possibilities are endless. My main point of this paper is going to be how nuclear power is safe...along with it being effective, efficiant, and relatively cheap.

Andrea Stemaly said...

Also think about putting the use of nuclear power into perspective with the timeline. Of course cases such as Chernobyl resonate in everyone's mind, but how many cases of such meltdowns have there been compared to the number of successful, and still functioning plants?

428thMP said...

yo, i got an article out of my book on your topic, I scanned it so email me c_r_e_a_m_26@yahoo.com, i will sent it to u in an attatchment, i hope u want it, um it wouldn't let me post it, i have no url or w/e, i don't really kno how to do that so just email me if u want it