Wednesday, March 12, 2008

Classwork from Tuesday, March 11th.

1.) "What is an academic paper?" is more of a formal type of guide to writing this particular style of paper, while "How to write consistently boring literature" throws in many quotes and a few pictures, creating a more informal type of guide.

2.1) 1. Steve gave the check to the waitress.
2. The policy was recommended to be changed.
3. Jenny studied the problem.
4. A bolt of lightning hit the tower.
5. Jose caught the fly ball.
6. I heard that some people might leave the company.
7. Mr. Smith will recieve the donation.
8. A rancher discovered the gold in Wyoming.
9. I wrote the check for one million dollars.
10. The family is recieving several donations.

2.2) I'm not sure if it's just me or not, but I can't seem to find anything wrong with any of these sentances. =\

3. I am analyzing the Hillary Clinton quote. My initial response was that she is a snide bitch. Proposing that a reign of terror such as Bush-Clinton-Bush-Clinton is what America needs is just downright moronic. This isn't tsarist Russia or one of the dynasties in China. Families aren't supposed to control the government, the whole population is. That was my first reaction. I would say my reaction was kind of a mix between intellectual and emotional. The post is effective in it's purpose though. It clearly states her position on the subject at hand in a general and likeable way, then she adds the zinger on the end. Every politician does it. Just a little jab at an opponant to add fuel to the fire. (just note that I also dislike Bush and I am politically liberal, I just dislike Hillary as well) She is playing on the emotions of the ignorant populace that also dislikes Bush, hoping to score easy points for her and her campaign. I would say the thesis is that Hillary Clinton would make a good president and that we should vote for her.

1 comment:

Andrea Stemaly said...

Colin-
What about the analysis from another perspective? This should have been included as well. As far as the active voice sentences, look to see if they all contain subjects. For example, in #2, who is doing the action?